"ASHOVER, a township and extensive parish, in the beautiful valley of the river Amber, 7 miles S.W. of Chesterfield, 3 miles N.W. of Stretton Station, in the county of Derbyshire, division of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, is one of the prettiest and most delightful places in the shire. The valley of silence and wild flowers may be enjoyed in peace, as the all invading 'Chara' cannot easily tackle the surrounding hills.
Standing about 600ft. above sea level, protected on the N. and N.E. by the Rattle and Fabric (980ft.), from which the counties of York, Lincoln, Nottingham, Leicester, Stafford and Derby, can be seen, together with 20 parish churches within a radius of six miles, and extensive views of the Slack, Bradley Tor, Cocking Tor, Ravensnest, High Ordish, and Ashover Hay, which reach up to 1000ft. on the other side of the valley.
The river Amber rises above and N.E. of Wilkin House, Upper Town, flows chiefly N.W. to S.E. through the valley, and bends S. to meet the Derwent at Ambergate.
Alton, 1 mile N.E.; Kelstedge, 1 mile N.N.W.; Upper Town, 2½ miles N.W.; Milltown, 1 mile S,; Littlemoor, 1 mile E., and Spitewinter, 2½ miles N., are interesting hamlets.
Brockhurst, 1¼ miles N.N.W., and Northedge, 1½ miles N., are just farms and a few cottages.
Ashover was at one time a flourishing business centre, with lead mines, 13 lime kilns, coal at Alton, smelting at Stonedge, lace thread at Kelstedge, four flour mills on the Amber, shoemakers, nailmakers, basketmakers, stocking frames, and rope works which used to spin ropes which reached right across the Moor Road down to the Church gate, claimed to be the longest ropes made in the country, and used for the mines.
Lavender, roses, valerian, camomile, elecampane, and other plants were grown in large quantities, dried, and used for medical and other purposes, but the Fluor Spar mines and Stone Quarries are the only activities at present."
|- from The Inns and Outs of Ashover by C. E. Lugard, 1923|
Search this site
powered by FreeFind|
- 27 July, 2010 -
Added Alan Stoppard's photo of Thomas, Thomas and Bernard Needham of Stonedge. Check here.
- 23 December, 2009 -
Added a page about the Doctors of Ashover, from 1879 to 1959, with some biographical information..
- 18 December, 2009 -
Transcribed a chapter from Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. One by J. Charles Cox, 1875.
Some interesting historical information.
- 13 December, 2009 -
Transcribed a piece about the bells of Ashover Church, written in 1874-75.
- 29 November, 2009 -
Added a section to the War Memorial page for those soldiers whose names are missing from the memorial, for whatever reason.
|Many thanks are due to the following people for their information, support and enthusiasm: Sue White, Alan Flint, Rosemary Lockie, Lucy Nuttall, Valerie Roper, Martin Buck, Sylvia Wright, Elaine Whatmore, Susan Orton, David Wright, Bob Marriott, Margaret Montague, Doris Bown, Edna Peach, Ted Hill, John Marriott, Graham Froggatt, Lois Chell, Syd Kilpin, Jenny Pickering, David Atkinson and Dorothy Tilley.|
Davina and I would also like to give a special mention to the late Mr. Philip Spray, who provided us with much information and many photographs, and without whom this website would have not been nearly as informative.
|~ Rob Marriott.|